Pomegranate Ice Cream

Thursday, June 17, 2010


I write this to you after having taken a pain killer for this gosh darn wisdom teeth recovery. It is brutal business, especially since I didn't take any pain medication until just now, the night of the second day. It was pure hell before then. Anyway.... in the time leading up to the procedure I of course was very concerned over what I would be able/want to eat. (Ironically, I haven't eaten really anything these first two days). I don't like jello and I'm not a big soup person, but that still left me with options. I knew I'd at least want to make myself some good homemade ice cream.

Silly ol' me still has plenty of leftover POM Wonderful juice sitting in her fridge since I won a contest over at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy. I figured pomegranate ice cream would be an easy kind to swallow, even though I would have loved to put chocolate chunks in it like Susan did.
First you need to make a syrup from the juice, then add it to your cream mixture. After that, you're good to put it in your maker and enjoy! I've only had a little bit of it so far, but it's really tasty! Especially with a heaping of whipped cream, my fav. Plus, POM juice is sooo good for you. So there's no shame in eating a ton of it!




Pomegranate Ice Cream
from: Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy

Ingredients:
2 cups bottled POM Wonderful Pomegranate Juice
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Combine pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar has completely dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, or until juice has reduced to about 1 cup. It should be the consistency of syrup.

Remove from heat and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. Syrup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat to warm it up. In a bowl, whisk the cornstarch and cream together until smooth. Add cream mixture to the saucepan and stir. Heat while stirring until mixture begins to boil.

Remove from heat and continue to stir for a few minutes. Pour the mixture into a bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to release the steam. Stir in the pomegranate syrup and salt.

Refrigerate for several hours or overnight, until well chilled.

Once chilled, freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Freeze until desired firmness is reached.

Makes approximately 1 quart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment