Zucchini & Onions with Mozzarella

Wednesday, July 21, 2010
So I'm back from vacation with a new lease on life. I've been doing some thinking and I realized I want to try to get back to cooking. At least cooking more. I have pretty much completely stopped cooking and it's pretty sad. I am obsessed with baking but it can't replace having nice home cooked meals. I need to eat a bit healthier instead of loading up on the sweets basically.


Where is this coming from? The wisest woman there is: Oprah. Haha I'm actually serious. While on vacation I read "O's Guide to Life". There were some pretty interesting stories and overall I really liked it. It is a sort of compilation of stories and articles from her magazine, with Dr. Phil and Howie Mandel making guest appearances. But there was one story I liked in particular and I wish I could find it online. It talks about this "Power of Three Technique". I know these things are really cheesy and it seems like anyone can come up with these things, but I really liked the idea of this one.


Basically, at the beginning of every month you make three changes. If you can do something for 28 days, it becomes habit. So in this way, you can develop good habits. This does seem like a tricky thing since it can even be hard to do something for a week, but it's worth a try. So I began to think of three things I would like to change for this month of July (It could probably be considered cheating since it's halfway through the month now.) So what did I decide? Keep in mind, this is kind of a personal project. I might not reveal what I change each month but I'll try and stay open with you guys.

1) Make my bed everyday- It's pretty sad that I don't do this already, but it's something simple that I can start with.

2) Eat a piece of fruit everyday- I'm really happy about this one. It's been great trying to keep this one and it has allowed me to try a ton of fruit I never had before. Like peaches. I also have been eating raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and i just recently bought a mango which I can't wait to try. This is huge for me.

3) Make dinner during the week- This is kind of a vague one, but I didn't wan to give myself too many restrictions; that would only make it harder for me keep to it. So, whenever I can, I will make dinner more. Then I'll be able to post those recipes for you guys.

So I hoping to give this a try and see how it goes. So far so good, but I would really like to keep it going for many months and see what kinds of changes I can make to better myself. Anyway, now for my first "dinner" recipe. (Read the note at the bottom to see why dinner is in quotes)

When making this, I thought bread crumbs would be a good addition to the top to give it a bit of a crunch. I added them right at the end with a tinsy drizzle of butter over them. After having a bite, I found this was a GREAT idea and went back and added even more all over! So I put this addition into the recipe below. Also, if you'd like, bacon would be a good addition. I don't actually like bacon, but the rest of my family said they could see it in there.


Zucchini & Onions with Mozzarella
from Land O Lakes: Treasury of Country Cooking

Ingredients:
3 tbsp butter
3 c sliced zucchini (1/8 inch thick)
1 c sliced onions (1/8 inch)
1/2 tsp basil leaves
1/4 tsp oregano
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
2 med ripe tomatoes cut into thin wedges
1 c shredded mozzarella
Handful, or four, of bread crumbs

Directions:
In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients except tomato and cheese. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is crisply tender (7 to 10 min). Add tomato wedges; sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs. Cover; let stand 2 min. or until cheese is melted.

It's really that easy. This took no time to make and was really great.

Note: We had this as a main dish because no one was too hungry, but this is in no way a good main dish. It would be best served as a side, a delicious side that is.

So overall I really liked this dish and remembered why I love zucchini so much)

0 comments:

Post a Comment