Zucchini Whoopie Pies!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Have you noticed a theme lately? I'll help you out a little with this one, it's zucchini. Neighbors are lovely, lovely people.

So whoopie pies... I don't think I've ever had one before to tell you
the truth. The only ones I have come in contact with (which haven't come from my kitchen) were all chocolate. Blech. Making zucchini whoopie pies was a great way to try them out and use a flavor I knew I would like. I was really excited to try this recipe!


Gourmet's website was laid out really nice for this recipe, which I liked. My only issue: what size do I make the cakes? They say to use a 1/4 cup a
mount, but I thought eye-balling it would be okay. I got some pretty huge pies in the beginning. I quickly learned to scale down the size or else no one would eat these monsters! (Well of course they'd still be eaten, but they'd be so intimidating looking!)

See the difference? On the left are the monsters, while on
the right I attempted some regular sized ones.


These were very tasty! I ended up eating many more than I originally intended. Isn't that always the case wi
th me?! I did give some to my neighbors; they loved them=) However, (and there's always a however it seems) I thought the cakes were a little tight? Like they weren't exactly as super soft or spongy as I would have liked. I think it was they amount of walnuts and the way I chopped them. I was sure if I was supposed to chop them super fine, or leave them in big chunks=/


For my first whoopie pie attempt, I'd say it was a success! Making them zucchini was a great choice (and a good excuse to make a cream cheese frosting).P.S.- I*'ve never used the word 'whoopie' as much as I have in this post.

These were the giant ones

Zucchini Whoopie Pies from Gourmet

For cakes

  • 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (10 ounces)
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup walnuts (4 ounces), chopped

For filling

  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Scant 1/4 teaspoon salt

Make cakes:

  • Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Butter 2 large baking sheets.

  • Squeeze handfuls of zucchini wrapped in a kitchen towel to remove moisture.
  • Whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt until combined. Whisk together buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl.
  • Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and beat until combined well.
  • At low speed, mix in flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until smooth. Mix in zucchini and walnuts until just incorporated.

  • Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of batter 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake, switching position of sheets halfway through, until tops are puffed and golden and spring back when touched, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer with a spatula to a rack to cool completely.

Make filling:

  • Beat together cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and salt with cleaned beaters at medium-high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.

Assemble pies:

  • Spread a rounded 2 Tbsp filling on flat sides of half of cakes and top with remaining cakes.
Whoopie pies keep, chilled in an airtight container, 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.

5 comments:

  1. Zucchini? Interesting! Nice photos.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind comments.

    Carmen

  1. Jane said...:

    Wow, Sherry--very original concept for a whoopie pie! I've seen banana whoopies, carrot whoopies, vanilla whoopies, and every variation of chocolate whoopies, but yours is the first zucchini whoopie I've ever come across. They look and sound just delish!

  1. Kat said...:

    Sherry, so different and your pictures are wonderful. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I am trying to follow you but don't see where. Please visit my blog often as I am always adding new recipes and having giveaways. Kat

  1. Sherry G said...:

    Thank you all for the lovely comments!
    Kat- Thanks for letting me know! I hopefully changed it so that you can now. I never even noticed I didn't have that up!

  1. Monica H said...:

    I love adding zucchini to baked goods. Makes me feel like I'm eating healthy. ha!

Post a Comment