Cinnamon Chocolate Bundt (Yes, that is the word chocolate)

Monday, November 15, 2010
So for those of you new to my blog, I must confess I am not a chocoholic by any means. For those of you who have been with me a while, you already knew this. You may notice I don't really have any chocolate-y items on my blog. Though there are rare instances. But sometimes you really need to go out of your comfort zone, right? Often (always) members of my family complain to me about never making chocolate items. (*cough my dad and sister cough*) So, I decided to appease them.


I just
love browsing through The Food Librarian's countless numbers of bundts. If you haven't already heard about her obsession with them, go check it out asap! She's so crazy (about them) that she's, for the second time, making 30 straight days of bundts leading up to National Bundt Day. How cool! I think it's super amazing and so I've realized I haven't made a bundt in quite a while. In honor of her, I am making 2 bundts for National Bundt Day this Monday. The first I chose was of the chocolate variety and one she called her absolute favorite. If I was going to pick a chocolate cake to make, why not the best?


I guess my dislike/fear of chocolate, among many other aspects, is the fact that it will be too dry and crumbly. Eww. This cake, however, was so far in the other direction. With the aspect of cinnamon involved, I knew it couldn't be too bad! And let me tell you, this cake was delicious. Yes, I just called a chocolate something delicious and I swear I'm in my right state of mind. I loved how the cinnamon worked with the chocolate and the gl
aze I made was a perfect pair. I honestly must have glazes or frostings with most of the cake type things I make.


This cake was gone in 24 hours, no lie. I think it turned out beautifully and held up well. I was really pleased with the taste and... I may be a slight chocolate convert. I can't say I've fallen in love with chocolate, but I definitely may be willing to give it a chance more often. This means you may be seeing more chocolate items popping up, but let's not get too eager;)


Ps-This recipe is SOOO easy. One pan and one bowl. It's real fast too.


Cinnamon Chocolate Bundt
found on The Food Librarian

Ingredients:

1 cup water

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter

1/4 c plus 1 T (or 5 T) cocoa

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1/2 t salt

1 1/2 t cinnamon

1/2 c buttermilk

1 t baking soda

2 eggs

1 t vanilla


Instructions:

1. Bring to a boil in a pot: Water, oil, butter and cocoa

2. In a large bowl, combine together with a whisk: flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon

3. Add the chocolate mixture to the flour and mix until combined.

4. Add the buttermilk and baking soda and mix.

5. In a small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla. Add to the batter and combine.

6. Pour batter into greased 10 or 12-cup Bundt pan (I prefer to use Pam with Flour or Bakers Joy) and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes (the original recipe says 25 minutes, so start checking then).

7. Cool in pan.

8. Top with a dusting of powdered sugar or a simple glaze of powdered sugar and milk or water.


Okay, so for this lush glaze I was mentioning... I didn't have any powdered sugar in the house, so I had to look up a very strange recipe for a type of glaze that didn't use any. This is what I ended up doing:


Ingredients:

6 tbsp butter

3 tbsp corn syrup

1/4 c brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp or so cinnamon

Melt butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add vanilla and cinnamon. (I had a minuscule amount of powdered sugar left that I threw in as well.)

5 comments:

  1. Monet said...:

    What a simple and beautiful bundt cake. I'm not a big fan of chocolate either, but I imagine I would EASILY enjoy a slice of this. Thank you for sharing. I hope the rest of your week is beautiful!

  1. Emily said...:

    That's a gorgeous bundt! I love, love chocolate and cinnamon togethe.

  1. Yay! I'm so excited you made my favorite Bundt. And let me tell you, I'm not a chocolaholic either. I will always take lemon over chocolate! But this bundt just stays moist for days (if you can keep it around the house)! Thanks so much for baking along with me on my crazy adventure. I mailed your "I Like Big Bundts" button today. I hope you wear it with Bundt pride. :) - mary the food librarian

  1. Unknown said...:

    What a beautiful bundt - glad you found a chocolate cake you can love!

  1. Ingrid_3Bs said...:

    Interesting. I don't like chocolate, wonder if this wouldn't convert me.

    Btw, you won my WS giveaway. Congrats. Please email me your address, again! lol
    ~ingrid

Post a Comment