When disaster strikes

Thursday, July 23, 2009
So to reveal what I was going to make with my lemon I'll first provide you with a picture.
Lovely isn't it? Yeah that was what was supposed to be a lemon meringue roulade. So as you can see it didn't exactly turn out the way I would have hoped.

The recipe from baking bites said to use parchment paper, and sadly I didn't own any. By using a silpat sheet to prevent sticking the baking surface was uneven, so I had lots of trouble with trying to have it bake level.


OVER FLOW!




Yeah so with the whole over flow thing I had to keep opening the oven and checking on it and allowing it to shrink back a bit. In the end i really think that screwed up my baking time and then I was left with this...>

And after an excruciatingly painful process of pulling the meringue off of the silpat, I was left with this...
Yeah, I threw it away. That was sad. It was burning on the ends and the middle was completely uncooked, I probably would have poisoned my family if I'd have served them it. Well here is the recipe anyway for those of you who are probably not so cursed in the kitchen as I am.



Lemon meringue roulade
fromBaking Bites
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest

Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 15×17-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper and lightly grease, making sure to lightly grease the sides of the pan, too.

In a large bowl, prepare the meringue. Beat the egg whites until frothy, then increase mixer speed to high and gradually beat in the salt and sugar, beating until the mixture reaches soft peaks.Stir in lemon zest.

Spread meringue into prepared pan in a thin, even layer.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until meringue is light gold.
Turn meringue out onto a wire rack lined with a clean dish towel. Peel off parchment paper and let cool completely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment