Protein packed crepes make a healthy and yummy breakfast

Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Okay, so no pictures with this post but I just had to tell you about my breakfast=).

It was a real spur of the moment kind of thing. I got home from my super early volleyball practice and needed food! But, I bought this expensive protein powder stuff to have after those draining practices. I bought the vanilla flavor since I'm not the biggest chocolate fan (GASP!), but it kinda tastes like crap. So I've been trying to think of ways to use it in recipes because drinking it is repulsive.

Well this morning a random idea came to me. Crepes! So I looked up your basic crepe batter and then downed the recipe to only about 2-3 servings. So I ended up with something like this:
1/3 cup of flour
1/4 pinch of salt
1/16 cup of sugar
1/4 of an egg
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon melted butter

So instead of flour I used the recommended serving size of the protein powder. It wasn't enough for the 1/3 of a cup, so I used flour for the rest. And yes, it is kind of weird to only use a 1/4 of an egg or a 1/16 cup of sugar, but whatever.
First combine your flour, salt, and sugar, and make a well in the middle. Then add the egg and milk and whisk until smooth. Finally, whisk in butter slowly.

After that I pretty much just heated my small skillet and poured in a third of the batter, depending on how big you want them. I spread it out as thin as possible and waited for it to cook. It became a pretty pale color, not your usual yellowish pancake-ish color. I actually had no trouble at all with cooking them or flipping them. It yielded 3 delicious crepes for me.

With the crepe on my plate, I spread a small amount of grape jelly on one end, then rolled it up. Then, I heavily dusted it with powdered sugar=).

They tasted really good. I think my mom makes delicious ones, and I think they have more of a pancake flavor without the protein powder, but with the jelly and powdered sugar they taste just fine.

So if you have some kind of protein powder or other powdered supplement that you're looking to experiment with, go for it. And I most definitely recommend trying crepes, with or without substitute powder. They may seem intimidating to make (or at least I thought they did...) but they're actually super simple, and if you maybe don't flip them perfectly they're still going to taste great!

Also I may post some other recipes I've tried to substitute protein powder in and let you know how those go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment