Simple, easy, buttery jam cookies

Friday, August 7, 2009
So I've been dying to bake something lately. I mean, I was like suffering from withdrawals by not baking something for over a week (or two)! And although I rented the Martha Stewart Cupcake book from the library, it had yet to come in and I desperately needed to fulfill my baking needs. So I made these babies.


They were extremely simple and easy to make. It involved pretty basic ingredients, as long as you had some jam. To me, they tasted a lot like scones. And although the recipe says you can get 50 cookies out of this batch, I was somewhere around 20, of course I did make 6 jumbo ones. But still, from other bloggers who made these cookies, they only yielded around 25. I guess you're supposed to make them pretty small. If you do, they have a really nice scraggly texture that is just divine. But for the 6 jumbos I made, they had a more scone like taste, which is nothing to complain about.


The jam really came through in my cookies, which was nice since I was worried it wouldn't. I definitely thought these were might
y tasty. And they act as pretty good breakfast cookies on account of the butter and jam.



Buttery Jam Cookies


Adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp. whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup strawberry jam Or whatever kind of jam you feel like using!
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar (on high speed) for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat on high speed for an additional minute. Add the milk and the vanilla extract and beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Add the jam and beat on low speed for 1 minute. Add the dry ingredients, with the mixer on low speed, just until they’re mixed in. The dough will be extremely thick and stiff. I don't have an electric mixer, so all this was done with a hand mixer and it worked out just fine.

With a an ice cream scoop or a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of the dough onto baking sheets, forming cookies that are about 1 inch to 1-1/2 inches in size. The dough is pretty tasty...
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes.(for my jumbo ones, it took about 22 mins, and they could have gone longer if I wanted them too. My small ones though took around 18ish, but my oven is pretty whack to begin with so proceed with caution using my times.)

Once baked, let the cookies sit on the pan for a minute or two and then remove to a wire rack and let cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. I recommend doing this. It certainly enhanced the flavor.

Note: This recipe will yield between 40 and 50 cookies, depending on size. So not true...

0 comments:

Post a Comment