Mini Breakfast Streusel Cups

Wednesday, August 26, 2009
So you know what's pretty great to keep on hand? Streusel topping! Yeah, after I made those blueberry crumble bars and only used half the recipe, I had plenty of streusel topping leftover which I promptly put in my freezer. The day before I had old fashioned oatmeal and sprinkled that very same streusel all over it. (Or should I say, I had some streusel-y goodness with a bit of oatmeal thrown into it? Yeah I went a bit overboard.) Well I still wasn't over my streusel obsession this morning either. And this time I wanted to get real creative.

I decided to make little streusel cups in a mini muffin tin with various fillings. Using random items I could find in my fridge, here's what I came up with.
1. Cottage Cheese and Applesauce
2. Oatmeal
3. Peanut Butter and Jelly
4. Cottage Cheese and Applesauce and Cinnamon (this mixture was fabulous!)

Clockwise from top: Streusel bottom, PB&J w/ out topping, cottage cheese & applesauce w/ out topping, and completed cottage cheese and applesauce cup.

So in four mini muffin tin liners, I patted some streusel on the bottom. For the cottage cheese and applesauce, I put that in a separate bowl and stirred them together until creamy then scooped it on the streusel. On one, I sprinkled some cinnamon which I think tasted better than the one without cinnamon. The oatmeal was leftover from the day before, so I just plopped it in. The peanut butter and jelly was tricker. I'm sure there was probably a better way of doing it but I just put a layer of peanut butter over the streusel then a layer of jelly over that. I topped all the cups with more streusel! (Then sprinkle your cinnamon over that if you choose)


Peanut butter and jelly! Cottage cheese, applesauce, and cinnamon! Yummy!

Then bake them at 350 for however long you need to. Mine were done after about 12 minutes. You could tell because the jelly was bubbling. Unlike muffins or cupcakes, you can't just pull the liners off and eat them with your hands. I used a spoon and scooped them out because the were a bit "pudding-like", I guess. The oatmeal one, though, I was able to pull off the wrapper. I guess it depends what you fill it with.

My streusel recipe is just x-amount of butter cut into x-amount of flour and x-amount of sugar. I don't know the exact measurements since I was using leftovers, sorry.

I don't think I've ever used the word streusel as many times as I have in this post but, what can you do? Also, I regret to inform you that the camera I own is a piece of junk (no offense mom!). It was almost impossible to get even one semi-good shot of these cuties. So, just use your imagination or make them yourself to see what they should look like.

Also i think using ramekins would be a great way to make these. I just used mini sized cups because I wasn't sure how they would taste. But if you know what you like then you can feel free to make more substantial sized portions.

So try these out if you're feeling creative one morning with some leftover streusel. If you try any different or crazy fillings, let me know about it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment