MSC: Sweet Potato Cupcakes

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sweet potatoes. In cupcakes. With marshmallows. And pecans. These were a huge surprise taste wise. I expected to eat and some what like them, but never to love them.

I don't know if they were supposed to, but my cupcakes fell considerably. I was not upset by this or anything, (in the past my cupcakes tend to be on the mile high side), but I just wasn't sure if that happened to anyone else. I didn't toast my marsh mallows, either. Instead, when I wanted to eat one, I would top it with marsh mallows and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds. Then, I would top that with toasted pecans, 'cause I wasn't up for candy-ing. My co-workers were very skeptical to try these. They aren't the most appealing to the masses type cupcake out there according to looks, which is unfortunate because they are very good. Oh, well. Hah, some people told me they liked my pumpkin cupcakes after they took a bite. Oh, silly King's employees.


I halved the "makes 24" recipe and still got 21 cupcakes out of it. I may not have filled them as much as needed but usually my cupcakes grow considerably. Could this be linked to the falling?

Whipping this together was fairly easy, except for getting my butter to cream with the dark brown sugar and regular sugar. But I got it eventually.

These cupcakes definitely have a different taste than that of the others I've made. In the past there have been spongy, but not at all dry cupcakes. Yet these, were extremely moist. Isn't it incorrect to say creamy? Probably. So maybe not creamy, but.. Oh! Like pecan pie but with sweet potatoes! So maybe sweet potato pie actually... That's what it's like. So not very cake-like but enough to give structure yet definitely soft.

And as I was filling the cups, and tasting the batter, I thought it didn't taste so good and it'd be okay if this one wasn't a favorite. But boy was I wrong. Martha just never fails to please me! I loved these sooo much. Trust me, your mouth/stomach will thank you.



The pecans and marshmallows made me really nervous. I do not at all like marshmallows what so ever. But I went for it. The pecans, too, are necessary. Because the cupcake is really moist and soft, you need some sort of crunch to balance it off, and what better pair is there than sweet potatoes and pecans? Together, the marshmallows and pecans unite to form a super team and take your cute little cuppy cakes to super stardom status. I may be exaggerating just a bit, but these are perfectly joyful bites of Fall for your mouth.



Thanks a ton to Karen for hosting this month's bake.

14 comments:

  1. betty geek said...:

    Sherry, your cupcakes look delicious and wonderful!

    I am so happy that you liked them! Woo hoo!

  1. Great job! They turned out great! I'm not sure why they fell. It is interesting to see how these turned out on others' blogs. I saw one that was really really domed and mine came out with a flat surface. I dunno! :)

  1. Dave said...:

    Mine came out a bit deflated as well. I think the oven temp should be a bit higher seeing as Martha's book uses the "creaming method" for this recipe. (needs a typical cake baking temp of maybe 350-375 to keep the "creamed air" in the structure. but hey ho, no worries! they were still yummalicious, domed or flat! yours look great!!

  1. k.a.r.e.n said...:

    Thanks for baking along with me this month. Your cupcakes are lovely. I, on the other hand, totally chickend out on the marshmellow part. Glad you went ahead with it.

  1. Unknown said...:

    Wow, it sounds like these were a huge hit for you! I really enjoyed them too. Yours look lovely, even if they did fall a bit. Not sure why that happened for you - mine seemed to dome nicely. The sweet potatoes definitely added a lot of moisture - I agree completely with you!

  1. Teresa said...:

    Great job with the cupcakes! I made half a batch, and then ended up with so much batter, I just ignored the recipe's advice and filled the muffin papers to the top. They turned out great and didn't puff up all that much.

  1. Elizabeth D. said...:

    Great job!! Those look wonderful. When my husband finally got home last night, he tried them and said they're amazing, so maybe I'll have to lift my personal ban on sweet potatoes (I've just never liked them!) and give one a try. :)

  1. Hindy said...:

    That half-eaten cupcake looks delicious! Those cupcakes were smart to make room for all the marshmallows. Well done!

  1. Lori said...:

    Great job! I think that they look amazing...and your half eaten shot looks so moist!

  1. mike said...:

    Well, at least they were all the same level! :) How funny, chocolate cupcakes always fall for me. These look great though!!! Truly... and the topping looks wonderful. Live and learn... although it would be nice to know why they DID fall! Nicely done!

  1. Sherry G said...:

    Thank you all! Yes those falling cupcakes are a conundrum... but they still tasted great!

    And Elizabeth, definitely give sweet potatoes a chance!

  1. Ingrid_3Bs said...:

    You've convinced me that this is the next cupcake to try out of her book. I've already got one in the works but after that I'm all over these. I LOVE anything marshmallowy anyway.
    ~ingrid

  1. Amy Lynn said...:

    So... Are there going to be any of these left when I come home this weekend? Or will there be some other deliciousness for me to try?

  1. Sherry G said...:

    Sadly Am, we finished these off. But, I've got another kind at home that you'll like just as much=)

Post a Comment